Hardware for sale

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 12 17:35:11 UTC 2007

On 6/12/07, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Celestica might be OEM manufacturers for different
> brands but I have never seen a Celestica branded server anywhere so
> how viable a machine this is, who knows?

We bought a bunch of direct-from-Celestica servers a couple of years
ago thru Alliance Computers, a local server VAR.

We weren't entirely happy with them; they ran hot, and we possibly
cooked them to death :-(.  Probably due to heat issues, they weren't
reliable enough to become real production systems.

I saw later-generation Celestica-made servers that looked further
nicer, but I think I'd rather buy Opteron boxes from HP; we got some
from them that have (again been abused :-() worked pretty flawlessly
even in a somewhat hostile (3rd world) environment.

"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)