Hardware for sale

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 12 16:51:54 UTC 2007

CLIFFORD ILKAY wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 June 2007 11:58, Jamon Camisso wrote:
>> Jamon Camisso wrote:
>>> I've got a few odds and ends I'd like to part with:
>>>
>>> 1x A2210-SCSI 1U Celestica blade (needs, processor, RAM, SCSI
>>> drive) 1x 80GB Seagate ST380011A IDE Drive
>>> 1x XFX GeForce 6800 XTreme 256MB DDR3 AGP
>> Note: the server takes up to 2 Opteron socket 940 2xx chips and
>> comes with a set of rails. Detailed user manual available from
>> Celestica here: http://tinyurl.com/2y4wdu
>
> That is not a blade server. That is a conventional, 1U server. Blades
> are something else. They slide into a backplane and enable higher
> densities, though how useful that is given the power and cooling
> requirements imposed by higher server densities is an open question.

I stand corrected, thank you.
> The server looks mildly interesting except the manual you pointed out
> is very short on useful details. E.g., it seems there is some remote
> management board.

If you want to use it.
> The manual is silent on what can be managed and
> how. Is it over IP? If so, what sort of client does it require? Does
> the server have the ducting for the CPU heat sinks?

I broke open the box once, saw the 2 heatsinks. Pretty sure there was a
duct, I'll have to check again.
> Without them,
> unless one could obtain such parts cheaply from Celestica, it's a
> boat anchor. Celestica might be OEM manufacturers for different
> brands but I have never seen a Celestica branded server anywhere so
> how viable a machine this is, who knows?

Celestica teamed up with AMD to build these things, part of AMD's
validated server program, more here:
http://www.celestica.com/News/News.aspx?id=480

Jamon