MythTV and alternate channels and commercial skip

DANIEL GARDINER dgardiner0821-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 6 02:52:36 UTC 2007

--- Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> 1) Our building has a camera on the entry lobby so
> we can observe pizza
> delivery people trying to get buzzed in.  It shows
> up on channel 70.
> Unfortunately, DataDirect says that APTN comes in on
> channel 70, so when
> I want to record, say Canadian Geographic specials,
> I instead get 2
> hours of boring pictures of the entry.  APTN instead
> is on some other
> channel, say 85.  Does anybody have any idea how to
> (a) add a manual
> channel to be the lobby-cam (I can probably figure
> this out and it isn't
> really a big priority), or more importantly (b) how
> to get APTN to be
> associated with the correct physical channel
> (particularly so it doesn't
> get reset by the nightly database update).

  I think you can do this by editing the channel table
in the mythconverg database, creating something
similar to the duplicate channel entries some of us
would see back when Rogers moved some channels around.
 But up front, I don't know a lot about mythtv or the
mysql database so take what follows with a big grain
of "does this guy even know what he's talking about?"

  What I think needs to be is to create an entry in
the channel table that uses the station information
APTN (for programs and schedules) with the channel
information for channel 85.  I'm guessing that for the
station information you would want channum, name, and
callsign, and xmltvid from APTN, and the other fields
from channel 85 (except for chanid, that would have to
be unique).

  Of course, you should back up the database before
trying anything, and I would suggest creating a new
entry merging the information together rather than
modifying one of the existing entries.

Daniel