MythTV and alternate channels and commercial skip

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 3 13:38:24 UTC 2007

I have MythTV working quite well on a couple Linux systems and a couple
Macs in the apartment, but I have 2 problems:

1) Our building has a camera on the entry lobby so we can observe pizza
delivery people trying to get buzzed in.  It shows up on channel 70.
Unfortunately, DataDirect says that APTN comes in on channel 70, so when
I want to record, say Canadian Geographic specials, I instead get 2
hours of boring pictures of the entry.  APTN instead is on some other
channel, say 85.  Does anybody have any idea how to (a) add a manual
channel to be the lobby-cam (I can probably figure this out and it isn't
really a big priority), or more importantly (b) how to get APTN to be
associated with the correct physical channel (particularly so it doesn't
get reset by the nightly database update).

2) Commercial skip used to work pretty reliably on the base station.  On
the Macs initially it didn't, so each show we'd set the option.  Then I
went into the database and set the appropriate flag (the Macs didn't
have mythtvsetup, etc., just the player) and all was good.  I got a new
Mac, updated the database, and it show up as skipping, but it doesn't
(this was a new download - Intel).  Furthermore, the base station
doesn't seem to be skipping commercials anymore either.  I can't think
of anything else that's changed (like MythTV versions), particularly on
the base.  Any suggestions welcome (except resetting the database - we
have about 300 GB of kids shows that we can't risk losing!).

../Dave