MythTV and alternate channels and commercial skip

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 6 04:02:47 UTC 2007

--- Dave Mason <dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> 1) Our building has a camera on the entry lobby so we can observe pizza
> delivery people trying to get buzzed in.  It shows up on channel 70.
> Unfortunately, DataDirect says that APTN comes in on channel 70, so when I
> want to record, say Canadian Geographic specials, I instead get 2 hours of
> boring pictures of the entry.  APTN instead is on some other channel, say
> 85.  Does anybody have any idea how to (a) add a manual channel to be the
> lobby-cam (I can probably figure this out and it isn't really a big
> priority), or more importantly (b) how to get APTN to be associated with
> the correct physical channel (particularly so it doesn't get reset by the
> nightly database update).

You can make changes to the channel lineup in mythtv-setup using the "Channel
Editor". During the initial set-up of MythTV it would have scanned the cable
to determine what channels you can tune you. This should have resulted in you
having entries for channels 70 and 85.

If your current setup lists Channel 70 as APTN and 85 as something else, the
simplest thing to do is swap the frequency entry for channels 70 and 85. Pull
up the entry for channel 70, hit "Next" twice, note the frequency, then hit
"Finish". Pull up the entry for channel 85. Edit the "Channel Name" and
"Callsign" to reflect that it is the lobby cam. Hit "Next" twice and note the
frequency entry. Change the frequency entry to the entry from channel 70, then
hit "Finish". Go back to channel 70 and change the Frequency to the value that
was originally in channel 85.

After these changes, when you select channel 70 it will tune the frequency of
channel 85 and you should be watching APTN. When you select 85, it should tune
the frequency of channel 70 and you will be watching the lobby cam.

I should point out that I run MythTV which I build from Subversion. You should
be able to do these same changes in the current release version of MythTV.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.