[OT] Something about that Greenwich meridian

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sat Jun 2 13:36:20 UTC 2007

Yesterday (Friday) evening I call Sympatico to cancel my internet service (they
never seem to be around when I call them; at Bell World at Square One Mall, I
was told to phone 310-SURF to cancel my service rather than bother them_, and I
was told by their tech support (the only ones who picked up the phone at that
number) that the business office was closed, and to call back "tomorrow". I
observed that "tomorrow" is Saturday. "Are they really open on Saturday?" I
asked politely. Some confusion ensured for a few seconds, then "Oh, yeah, you
have to call on Monday".

I don't think this was absent-mindedness. This was more like: she checks her
calendar, then she checks the Sympatico office hours, then oh, yeah: they're
closed on Saturday. My impression is that she made a rushed remark so she can
reach her call quota (otherwise these call centres get rid of them), then she
has to spend extra time to correct her error.

If that was a real Bell employee (someone on Bell's payroll working in Canada),
that kind of gaffe would be unheard-of (granted, they bungle up other things,
but they NEVER make mistakes regarding the times they are off work). The kind
of money Bell seems to be saving by outsourcing their call centre to overseas
is less of the "more bang for the buck" variety, and more of the "pay peanuts
to hire monkeys" variety. And the "Canadian call centre", in the embodiment of
"Emily" the Bell Telephone Fairy, seems to work for no peanuts at all --
electrons, maybe :-)

It struck me how all this amounts to contempt for the customer. It all gives
the impression that we who pay the astronomical bills for the internet and
phone service are not really their first priority. For my part, it gives me a
feeling of being left out in the cold.

Paul King