Nice looking 'disk array'

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 15:12:29 UTC 2007

On Tue, Jan 30, 2007 at 01:30:51AM -0500, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> Is there any circumstance where software RAID supports hot-swap?  For me
> hot-swap is the big win on hardware RAID side, trying to get downtime to
> replace a failed disk is not always easy.

If the hardware supports hotswap, then yes it can.  You have to tell it
to stop using a disk before yanking it (not a problem usually if it
already failed, you just tell the raid to stop using it), then swap the
drive, and tell the raid to start using the new one.  I have done that
with hotswap scsi drives hotswap backplanes before running on adaptec
2940 series controllers.  SATA hotswap is finally starting to get
finished in the kernel now, so that you can actually take advantage of
the fact most SATA controllers (and all sata devices) are supposed to
allow hotswap.

--
Len Sorensen