Nice looking 'disk array'

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 08:18:05 UTC 2007

> Is there any circumstance where software RAID supports hot-swap?  For me
> hot-swap is the big win on hardware RAID side, trying to get downtime to
> replace a failed disk is not always easy.

I believe so, yes.  There are ways to instruct a software RAID array
to run in "degraded mode" (can't remember how, offhand--maybe with
mdadm?).  So, supposing your hardware supports hot-swapping, you can
turn-off the target disk in software, hot-swap according to your
hardware's protocol, and then turn the target, swapped disk back on.
Once the swap is complete, the RAID array will start rebuilding in the
background.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com