Nice looking 'disk array'

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 29 19:05:20 UTC 2007

Byron Sonne wrote:
> IMO, hardware raid is a better performer and more reliable. When it's
> hardware that's where the real advantages come in.

I feel that depends on the controller and hardware. I've seen so many
"hardware" RAID controllers, which in reality are little more than the
equivalent of winmodems, fail. Then unless you have a spare controller,
you are SOL. In the cases where the alternative is low-end RAID hardware
like that, I always recommend using software arrays. At least then the
array is not tied to the hardware.

Now, if you get a controller with a dedicated processor then you are in
business. Generally those controllers have (at least) a dedicated MIPS
CPU for handling XOR calculations (specially important in a failed
state) with it's own dedicated RAM for caching and often even have their
own battery backup on-board to maintain unwritten data in case of a
power failure. On DB systems, this is specially important.

http://www.adaptec.com/en-US/products/sas_cards/performance/SAS-4800/

Look like it's inline with what I am talking about (though I couldn't
see specs on it's proc, but it's priced in the range to have one).

My $0.02 :)

Madi