Nice looking 'disk array'

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 30 06:30:51 UTC 2007

On Monday 29 January 2007 13:58, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> My experience has been that software raid performed a lot better (maybe
> the hardware raid cards weren't very good).  It is certainly easier to
> manage hardware raid in terms of booting and such, but not much else.

Is there any circumstance where software RAID supports hot-swap?  For me
hot-swap is the big win on hardware RAID side, trying to get downtime to
replace a failed disk is not always easy.

> Reliability is probably also identical.  Easier to fix software raid
> than to get bugs in raid controller firmware fixed too.  Linux software
> raid also has a lot more testing and a larger user base, than any
> hardware raid platform will ever have.

I wouldn't be surprised if Linux software RAID is more reliable, I have seen
some pretty horrendous bugs in hardware RAID (and heard of worse than I've
seen).  Usually the problems were on fairly bleeding edge equipment though.

Compaq's SmartArray is one controller that I'm quite comfortable with, haven't
seen major issues there.