Rogers high-speed internet

Charles philip Chan cpchan-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 02:25:46 UTC 2007

On 22 Jan 2007, james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org wrote:

> Incidentally, I'm on Rogers at home and have the misfortune of having
> to deal with Sympatico at work.

I am on Sympatico, and I have to admit that their help desk is
useless. I once called them to inform them that one of their email
servers is down, and the tech keeps trying to "help" me setup "Outhouse
Excuse" (I told them I use Linux).

> Rogers is much better from a reliability and performance perspective.

Sympatico is not too bad if you can support yourself. Although the speed
is slower than cable, but the speed is constant since I don't have to
share my connection with the whole neighbourhood.

> The help desk, while not supporting Linux is actually quite helpful,
> unlike that so called help desk that Sympatico provides.

I had some pretty bad experiences with them when trying to help a
friend. Unfortunately there is really no good tech support at the larger
ISP's since the calls are monitored and they have to read from a script.

> Further, your host name, which is derived from your modem and computer
> MAC addresses, never changes.  This means you can always reach your
> computer from elsewhere, using it's host name.

Which is of no use since their TOS forbids servers, IIRC.

Charles

--
We are MicroSoft.  You will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.
(Attributed to B.G., Gill Bates)