Rogers high-speed internet

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 01:54:53 UTC 2007

Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> Well... I finally convinced my friend in Kitchener to go with
> high-speed over dial-up, only to discover that DSL service is not yet
> available for their address... which surprises me, being as they are
> close to downtown... But I have checked their phone # on the Bell and
> Teksavvy, websites and actually emailed Teksavvy, and such appears to
> be the case.
>
> Rogers appears to be the only high-speed option available, but I have
> never setup a cable modem with Linux... and the Rogers FAQ states that
> a technician makes a house call to setup the modem, but not the
> software side of things (at least on the free install... and certainly
> not on Linux).
>
> Couple questions:
>
> Is there any special 'gotchas' configuring Rogers high-speed internet
> to use with Linux? My major concern is there might be some config or
> software install that requires a Windows box... which will not be
> available at this address.

You don't have to install any software.

> Can the cable modem be accessed and configured through a web browser?

You only have to configure your ethernet port for DHCP.

> Does the Rogers cable modem act as a router and dynamically assign a
> IP address to the connected Linux box?

The cable modem acts as a modem.  The DHCP server is elsewhere on the
Rogers network.

> Thanks!

Incidentally, I'm on Rogers at home and have the misfortune of having to
deal with Sympatico at work.  Rogers is much better from a reliability
and performance perspective.  The help desk, while not supporting Linux
is actually quite helpful, unlike that so called help desk that
Sympatico provides.  Also, with Rogers, while your address is DHCP, it
changes so seldom it's virtually static.  Further, your host name, which
is derived from your modem and computer MAC addresses, never changes.
This means you can always reach your computer from elsewhere, using it's
host name.