Rogers high-speed internet

DANIEL GARDINER dgardiner0821-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 00:26:36 UTC 2007

--- Daniel Armstrong <dwarmstrong-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> Couple questions:
>
> Is there any special 'gotchas' configuring Rogers
> high-speed internet
> to use with Linux? My major concern is there might
> be some config or
> software install that requires a Windows box...
> which will not be
> available at this address.

  I was running Windows when I had my Rogers modem
installed.  The software they included was optional,
it was mainly for trouble-shooting problems with your
connection.  I had no problems when I switched over to
Linux and didn't have to configure the modem, just
selected DHCP for my network.

> Can the cable modem be accessed and configured
> through a web browser?

  Couldn't say, haven't tried.  Last I checked Rogers
used a number of different models, and your area
determined which one you received. (This is what the
technician told me when he set it up.  The orignal
modem he brought wouldn't work because it was for a
different area.)

> Does the Rogers cable modem act as a router and
> dynamically assign a
> IP address to the connected Linux box?

  I believe so but I am far from an expert.

Daniel