Rogers high-speed internet

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 23 15:34:57 UTC 2007

On Mon, Jan 22, 2007 at 07:19:29PM -0500, Colin Smillie wrote:
> No real problem with connecting Linux with Rogers but the Rogers modem is
> essentially a black box that you never interact with.  About once a year I
> need to unplug it but otherwise it just sits their with some blinking
> lights.
>
> In my case I connect the ethernet connection from the modem into a PC that
> runs Linux.  The only problem challenge I encountered is that rogers assigns
> you a hostname to be used for DHCP requests.  Once I figured out how to
> configure the DHCP-client to send the Rogers host name it wasn't a problem.
> Apparently Rogers uses the hostname to as part of the
> authentication/registration to the modem...

Most rogers areas no longer require the hostname as part of dhcp.  They
just use the modem MAC address instead.  I think only areas still
running the old 'giant heatsink' cablemodems use that system, assuming
there are any of those left.  Any area using DOCSIS compliant modems
shouldn't need the silly hostname thing.

--
Len Sorensen