Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 22 15:02:18 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 02:17:19PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> Next I tried a Cmd line install of Ubuntu, at least I got a system but not
> quite what I wanted.  It insisted that I couldn't create just a primary
> for /boot and the rest for LVM. I had to also create a primary for / [root
> partition] and then I could use the rest for LVM. In here it created a swap
> partition.  The install proceded and I now have a bootable drive.

Actually having / on LVM always seems like a bad idea to me (I never do
it).  Since the LVM config files are in /etc and being able to do any
kind of recovery requires access to the LVM tools (/sbin) having at
least that much of my system bootable even if LVM breaks (which I have
managed to do before when trying to use pvmove on a whole LVM at once
rather than individual LVs), being able to boot and have a working
system (although minimal) to repair it is rather handy.  If / is on LVM
then you have essentially nothing if it breaks.  You can try and get it
repaired using something like knoppix or such, but it will be a lot
harder since you still need to assemble the LVM in order to get at the
config files needed to assemble the LVM.  Having a small / for /etc,
/boot, /bin and /sbin is much much safer.  No need for having /boot and
/ seperate of course.  I imagine 500M or so would do for that if /usr
and /var are on LVM.  Might be best to actually leave /var on / too and
just have seperate LVs for subdirs of /var that need space (like
databases in /var/lib and some of the stuff in /var/log, and probablt
/var/spool and /var/cache).  I am not entirely sure how important /var
might be for booting.

--
Len Sorensen