Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 22 14:55:13 UTC 2007

On Sun, Jan 21, 2007 at 02:17:19PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> Lots of good advice came my way, but it wasn't enough.
>
> Tim suggested I play with LVM so I took a hard drive and almost did a Debian
> Network install  [command Line only]. During the partitioning before the
> install   Debian created a primary partition for for /boot and the rest of
> the disk for LVM.  The logical partition had / [root] and swap volumes
> [terminology?], however I would have liked swap, a 5 gig, /,  and another [80
> Gig] for /data however that didn't seem to be possible at that stage. After a
> 30 min session downloading files from York U.  the install died during the
> install of the man package.  Thats my life.
>
> Next I tried a Cmd line install of Ubuntu, at least I got a system but not
> quite what I wanted.  It insisted that I couldn't create just a primary
> for /boot and the rest for LVM. I had to also create a primary for / [root
> partition] and then I could use the rest for LVM. In here it created a swap
> partition.  The install proceded and I now have a bootable drive.
>
> Except I don't have the utilities that I need to work with LVM.  No vgcreate,
> vgdisplay and so on. I installed lvm-common and lvm2 from the Ubuntu
> repositories but still none of the goodies. Unless I am missing something
> else that is pretty basic.
>
> Bottoms up....

The utilities are of course in /usr/sbin and /sbin and hence only in the
path of root, not a regular user.  'su -' to root first.  Using sudo
(which ubuntu seems to love) means having to be explicit about the path
to the tools or adding all the sbin directories to your own path first.

--
Len Sorensen