Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 22 15:30:25 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 10:02 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Actually having / on LVM always seems like a bad idea to me (I never do
> it).

I do it all the time. And I'd have /boot on LVM if Grub would support
it.

> Since the LVM config files are in /etc and being able to do any
> kind of recovery requires access to the LVM tools (/sbin) having at
> least that much of my system bootable even if LVM breaks (which I have
> managed to do before when trying to use pvmove on a whole LVM at once
> rather than individual LVs), being able to boot and have a working
> system (although minimal) to repair it is rather handy.  If / is on LVM
> then you have essentially nothing if it breaks.  You can try and get it
> repaired using something like knoppix or such, but it will be a lot
> harder since you still need to assemble the LVM in order to get at the
> config files needed to assemble the LVM.

What about vgscan? It pulls the VG config from the VG descriptor area on
the disk and reassembles volume groups.

> Having a small / for /etc,
> /boot, /bin and /sbin is much much safer.  No need for having /boot and
> / seperate of course.  I imagine 500M or so would do for that if /usr
> and /var are on LVM.  Might be best to actually leave /var on / too and
> just have seperate LVs for subdirs of /var that need space (like
> databases in /var/lib and some of the stuff in /var/log, and probablt
> /var/spool and /var/cache).  I am not entirely sure how important /var
> might be for booting.

It may be safer but less convenient and it sounds messy.  Now instead of
efficiently using space you've got lots of spare space devoted to
subdirs of /var.

As long as you're resigned to needing a rescue disk when you have to
repair LVMs then you should be okay.
--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.