Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Jan 21 23:44:13 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 14:17, Merv Curley wrote:
> Next I tried a Cmd line install of Ubuntu, at least I got a system but not
> quite what I wanted.  It insisted that I couldn't create just a primary
> for /boot and the rest for LVM. I had to also create a primary for / [root
> partition] and then I could use the rest for LVM. In here it created a swap
> partition.  The install proceded and I now have a bootable drive.

I do recall a bug where the Debian installer would "unselect" partitions that
had been set up prior to setting up LVM ...

On your bootable system is there an actual /boot partition now that it's up
and running or did you boot files end up in /root?  If so then you're
probably getting hit by that old bug/quirk.  On the booting system
try "mount | grep /boot", here's my output (you should see similar):

  fraser at someserver:~$ mount | grep /boot
  /dev/md0 on /boot type ext3 (rw)

There's an alternative boot CD for Ubuntu which among other things claims to
add "LVM and/or RAID partitioning".  Perhaps you have to use this alternative
image in order to get fully functional LVM install (this is the CD I have
always used so I'm not sure about it).

If you do try a reinstall for any reason do ensure that after you've finalized
your LVM config and specified where to mount each LV that you also review the
configuration of your primary partition for /boot (and ensure that /boot is
still listed as it's mount point).