Where's the LVM utils? ( Debian - Ubuntu )

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 24 01:32:19 UTC 2007

On Sunday 21 January 2007 18:44, Fraser Campbell wrote:
> On Sunday 21 January 2007 14:17, Merv Curley wrote:
> > Next I tried a Cmd line install of Ubuntu, at least I got a system but
> > not quite what I wanted.  It insisted that I couldn't create just a
> > primary for /boot and the rest for LVM. I had to also create a primary
> > for / [root partition] and then I could use the rest for LVM. In here it
> > created a swap partition.  The install proceded and I now have a bootable
> > drive.
>
> I do recall a bug where the Debian installer would "unselect" partitions
> that had been set up prior to setting up LVM ...

Well I guess that you read that my problems were with the partitioner.  After
I got everything working, I managed to install something for Mythtv that made
the drive unbootable. Now I have to start all over, however it probably isn't
such a bad thing to do a couple of times.

Having read all the pros and cons of where to put /,  has shown me that I
should be prepared to use a rescue disk.  But I hope it doesn't come to that
cuz it will involve more hand wringing and annoying messages to the list...

Lennart, I don't like using Ubuntu, but there is a very good howto for Ubuntu
Mythtv installs and not for Debian. So using sudo is getting more automatic.
Since I am not installing a desktop, Gnome doesn't come into focus.

Thanks everyone for the enlightenment.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can