Ubuntu question

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 17 18:16:09 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 17 January 2007 12:27 pm, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> pavel wrote:
> > First question should be why, not how. If its to import RCS repository
> > into a newer and more able source code control system, then you go to:
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/rcs/rcs.html
> > and load the program, enter directory where you loaded the file, unpack
> > it like so:
>
> If all the person wanted to do was pull in stuff from an RCS repository
> in to a different SCCS such as CVS or Subversion, there is absolutely no
> need to compile RCS from source. The other SCCS will have a tool or
> instructions on how to accomplish that task. IIRC, my pocket guide to
> CVS had infomation on how to pull in data from RCS.
>
> If this person who wants RCS is just starting out in programming and/or
> the use of version control, RCS is a good place to get the basics down.
> It would make it easier when they are ready to make the move to CVS or,
> better still, Subversion.

Thankyou for all your responses.

This student is enrolled in my Introduction to Linux Programming course.    We
use RCS to illustrate to a programming novice what version control is about.

I chose RCS because it is simple and it is (as you responded) a "good place to
get the basics down".

The student did the appropriate apt-get and now reports that all is well.

bob