Ubuntu question

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 17 17:43:29 UTC 2007

pavel <pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org> writes:

> > I recently had a question from a student asking how to get RCS installed
> > on
> > his Ubuntu system.
>
> First question should be why, not how.

While I agree that there are more capable version control systems, RCS is
still useful for managing individual files that don't form part of a
coherent collection or project. For example, I often use RCS to manage
configuration files within /etc.

> If its to import RCS repository into
> a newer and more able source code control system, then you go to:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/rcs/rcs.html
> and load the program, enter directory where you loaded the file, unpack it
> like so:
>
> tar xvfz rcs-xxxxx.tar.gz
>
> cd rcs-xxxxxx/
> ./configure
> make
> make install
>
> ./rcs

How is this better than "apt-get install rcs" or the appropriate yum
incantation?

> ... etc etc.
>
> Suggestion for your student, for systems to be used: bazaar-ng and subversion.
> All easily locatable on google.
> Regards,
>          Pavel

tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada