Ubuntu question

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 17 17:27:40 UTC 2007

pavel wrote:
> First question should be why, not how. If its to import RCS repository into
> a newer and more able source code control system, then you go to:
> http://www.gnu.org/software/rcs/rcs.html
> and load the program, enter directory where you loaded the file, unpack it
> like so:

If all the person wanted to do was pull in stuff from an RCS repository
in to a different SCCS such as CVS or Subversion, there is absolutely no
need to compile RCS from source. The other SCCS will have a tool or
instructions on how to accomplish that task. IIRC, my pocket guide to
CVS had infomation on how to pull in data from RCS.

If this person who wants RCS is just starting out in programming and/or
the use of version control, RCS is a good place to get the basics down.
It would make it easier when they are ready to make the move to CVS or,
better still, Subversion.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.