Ubuntu question

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Jan 17 16:52:08 UTC 2007

On 1/17/07, pavel <pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > I recently had a question from a student asking how to get RCS installed
> > on his Ubuntu system.
>
> First question should be why, not how. If its to import RCS repository into
> a newer and more able source code control system, then you go to:
[SNIP]
> Suggestion for your student, for systems to be used: bazaar-ng and subversion.
> All easily locatable on google.

While you're correct that it would be bad for someone to try to use
RCS when they're dealing with code coming from a CVS or subversion
repository, using RCS for personal projects is a better idea than
getting into the overhead of a distributed revision control system.
RCS is simple, fairly straight forward, well known, and widely
available, with little overhead and a tiny learning curve.  I'm not
sure this can be said for cvs, subversion, or bazaar.  If all you want
to do is track a few scripts and/or documents (be they text, HTML,
SGML ...) on your own machine, RCS is still the easiest solution.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org