LVM How-To by Lennart

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 15 21:18:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:09:15PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> Thanks for the instructions Lennart. From what stuck in the grey cells from
> the HOW-TO,  it seemed to make sense.  I assume that somewhere in the second
> stage I format the 'newdisk' with ext3 to match the present part of the
> logical volume?

No.  You are extending an existing filesystem I imagine.  If you don't
want to expand an existing logical volume, you can create a new logical
volume with lvcreate and format that afterwards.

> What I don't understand without going back to the Linux HOW-TO, is the extents
> you talked about.  The result of vgdisplay for the partition  videolv01 is
>
> PE / Size 1 / 32 MB
>
> Is the 32 MB what I use for the lvextend command?

The vgdisplay should show how many free extents are unused (not used by
any logical volume).  That is how many extents you can potentially add
to any existing logical volume.

> Something went disasterously wrong this afternoon, this computer locked up and
> I had to power down. When I restarted it, it just wouldn't reboot, about 10
> error messages, ending something like, ' this shouldn't happen, but it did '.
> Nothing like a programmer with a sense of humor.
>
> At any rate, tonight after supper, I fired it up, I think every partition on 2
> drives had errors, this is the first thing I've tried and all of todays
> messages are lost somewhere.  Luckily I wrote all your instructions down and
> was able to check the first 4 steps  to see about these extents.

Any chance you knocked a cable loose when you were adding the drive?

> 'man fsck' doesn't reveal an -f option, perhaps that applies to LVM.

I should have said fsck.ext3 -f not just fsck.

So what have you done so far?

--
Len Sorensen