LVM How-To by Lennart

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Jan 16 21:59:04 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 January 2007 16:18, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 08:09:15PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> > Thanks for the instructions Lennart. From what stuck in the grey cells
> > from the HOW-TO,  it seemed to make sense.  I assume that somewhere in
> > the second stage I format the 'newdisk' with ext3 to match the present
> > part of the logical volume?
>
> No.  You are extending an existing filesystem I imagine.  If you don't
> want to expand an existing logical volume, you can create a new logical
> volume with lvcreate and format that afterwards.

hda on the Myth system, has a primary partition for /boot, a VolumeGroup
[rootvg]  for the  Myth install  / and the swap;  and a VolumeGroup for
Myth Data [videovg].  I have a 320 GB drive [hdb] that I thought could
extend the videovg group.

> The vgdisplay should show how many free extents are unused (not used by
> any logical volume).  That is how many extents you can potentially add
> to any existing logical volume.

Well it seems that vgdisplay didn't return what it should have because I
didn't use the  VolumeGroup name.  I just tried again and

 vgdisplay videovg     [now sez among other things]

Max PV   0  0     Cur PV  1   1      Act PV  1  1
VG size 225.88   PE Size 32 MB
Total PE 7228
Alloc PE/Size  7227 / 225.88
Free PE/Size  1 / 32 MB

Is that better?  How many free extents are there, just 1?  Is this second
drive going to be videolv02 for mounting purposes in fstab and a part of
the 'videovg group?  presently fstab is

2 entries  for rootvg,  one is  /,  and another   swap
and
/dev/videovg/videolv01    /video     ext3	   defaults    0 0

> > Something went disasterously wrong this afternoon, this computer locked
> > up and I had to power down. When I restarted it, it just wouldn't
> > reboot, about 10 error messages, ending something like, ' this
> > shouldn't happen, but it did '. Nothing like a programmer with a sense
> > of humor.
> >
> > At any rate, tonight after supper, I fired it up, I think every
> > partition on 2 drives had errors, this is the first thing I've tried
> > and all of todays messages are lost somewhere.  Luckily I wrote all
> > your instructions down and was able to check the first 4 steps  to see
> > about these extents.

Stupid me, I booted into the wrong distro and unison hadn't brought it up to
date for mail.

> Any chance you knocked a cable loose when you were adding the drive?

This wasn't the computer that has Myth on it. It looks like the hard drive
was 'on the edge'. Started taking the Bios ages to read it, then a minute
to find the grub menu, another minute to actually display it.  A new drive
installed, the old one is in a USB case and I am slowly getting files and
directories off it. Hellofa job.

> > 'man fsck' doesn't reveal an -f option, perhaps that applies to LVM.
>
> I should have said fsck.ext3 -f not just fsck.
>
> So what have you done so far?

With Myth.,  nothing.  Got to figure out this extents thing, so I can
increase the size of the Myth 'data directory' for all the recordings that
are happening.  I didn't realize that every minute of TV that I watch is
saved to the hard drive. I realize that they are temporary files but with
the novelty, I am using up a lot of space.  Plus making recordings of
movies that I haven't seen in some time. if the wife starts recording shows
and watching TV on her computer, then I'll need lots of storage space.

> --
SuSE 10.2 hasn't been too bad so far, but it will take me a day or two to
try the things that bugged me about 10.0 and 10.1.  I only have a network
install for Debian, so it takes a while to DL all the graphical stuff and
get myself back in more familiar territory.

Cheers

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can