LVM How-To by Lennart

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 13 01:09:15 UTC 2007

Thanks for the instructions Lennart. From what stuck in the grey cells from
the HOW-TO,  it seemed to make sense.  I assume that somewhere in the second
stage I format the 'newdisk' with ext3 to match the present part of the
logical volume?

What I don't understand without going back to the Linux HOW-TO, is the extents
you talked about.  The result of vgdisplay for the partition  videolv01 is

PE / Size 1 / 32 MB

Is the 32 MB what I use for the lvextend command?

Something went disasterously wrong this afternoon, this computer locked up and
I had to power down. When I restarted it, it just wouldn't reboot, about 10
error messages, ending something like, ' this shouldn't happen, but it did '.
Nothing like a programmer with a sense of humor.

At any rate, tonight after supper, I fired it up, I think every partition on 2
drives had errors, this is the first thing I've tried and all of todays
messages are lost somewhere.  Luckily I wrote all your instructions down and
was able to check the first 4 steps  to see about these extents.

'man fsck' doesn't reveal an -f option, perhaps that applies to LVM.

Thanks again.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can