LVM and MythTV

Merv Curley mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Jan 13 20:09:12 UTC 2007

On Friday 12 January 2007 12:56, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

Thanks Lennart.  Seems to make sense from what I read and remember from the
HOW-TO,   except

> Create a partition on the new disk (you can run without partitions, but
> it tends to confuse some people).
>
> pvcreate /dev/newdisk (ie /dev/hdc1 or whatever your new device is)
> vgextend VolumeGroupName /dev/newdisk
> vgdisplay VolumeGroupName |grep -i free (to get number of free extents)

response is   free  PE  /  Size  1  /  32MB

Is this what I should see?,  I use ??? for the extent in the next line.

> lvextend /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName -l +numberOfNewExtents
>
> Then resize the filesystem to fill the new volume size (some filesystems
> have to be unmounted to do that, others can be done online).
>
> For ext2 or ext3 I tend to do this:
> umount /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
> fsck -f /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
> resize2fs -p /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
> mount /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
>
> --

I assume that I make an ext3 filesystem before I mount it?

The drive I am adding, was used before, for a week, on another computer for
this same Myth distro and is formatted and set up exactly like this new
install. I can't figure out what goes in fstab for hdb3 [ a LVM the same as
hda3 ] so I could mount it and maybe copy some stuff over before I delete the
3 partitions to make one big partition.  Could I express myself worse?  I
think the problem is in the /dev section.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont. Can

Debian Linux  Etch