LVM and MythTV

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jan 15 21:36:24 UTC 2007

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 03:09:12PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> response is   free  PE  /  Size  1  /  32MB
>
> Is this what I should see?,  I use ??? for the extent in the next line.

What is the full output of vgdisplay of your volumegroup?

I would expect to see something like:
rceng02:/debian/rr1/dists/rr1/sandbox/ruggedbase# vgdisplay
  --- Volume group ---
  VG Name               MainVG
  System ID
  Format                lvm2
  Metadata Areas        1
  Metadata Sequence No  10
  VG Access             read/write
  VG Status             resizable
  MAX LV                0
  Cur LV                3
  Open LV               3
  Max PV                0
  Cur PV                1
  Act PV                1
  VG Size               204.82 GB
  PE Size               4.00 MB
  Total PE              52434
  Alloc PE / Size       52434 / 204.82 GB
  Free  PE / Size       0 / 0
  VG UUID soZK9G-fPmn-x05Z-kIsd-w11q-e8b0-WgT7Fg

Since I am using all the space for logical volumes, I have 0 / 0 Free
PEs (Physical Extents).  If you create a new PV and add it to the VG,
you should have more PEs free which can then be used to extend existing
LVs or create new LVs.

> I assume that I make an ext3 filesystem before I mount it?

Only if you are making a new logical volume.  If you are expanding an
existing one, you already have a filesystem.

> The drive I am adding, was used before, for a week, on another computer for
> this same Myth distro and is formatted and set up exactly like this new
> install. I can't figure out what goes in fstab for hdb3 [ a LVM the same as
> hda3 ] so I could mount it and maybe copy some stuff over before I delete the
> 3 partitions to make one big partition.  Could I express myself worse?  I
> think the problem is in the /dev section.

Trying to access an lvm from another system is not trivial (it can be
done, but it can be a real pain).  You would have to scan for the
physical volumes, then assemble the volume group and activate it, then
mount the logical volume.  You can't simply mount it since you need to
bring up the lvm first.

--
Len SOrensen