LVM and MythTV

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Jan 12 17:56:43 UTC 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 12:02:56PM -0500, Merv Curley wrote:
> Those who have helped me get MythTV going, thanks. I now have a backend
> computer with the equivalent of 2 PVR-150's and one computer with a backend
> slave and frontend working.
>
> The MythDora distro did the job. I followed the Ubuntu backend instructions
> and that failed when I couldn't retrieve some files and then the frontend the
> same thing, when I couldn't get the gtk2.0 binaries. I know they are there in
> the pool - G directory but apt-get just can't find them.
>
> Anyway, MythDora sets up a Logical Volume for the data partition and I would
> like to add another e-ide harddisk to that volume.  I have gone through the
> LVM Howto, but it is many, many pages written in 2002 and somehow nothing
> that old is relevant nor can I find just what I need to do. Can someone post
> some doc's they found that explains LVM in a manner I might understand?
>
> I did see some information about doing this in my myth travels but I have no
> idea if it was a forum or where I read it. Not enough sense to make a note of
> it at the time.  Kinda wordy request for help, sorry.

Create a partition on the new disk (you can run without partitions, but
it tends to confuse some people).

pvcreate /dev/newdisk (ie /dev/hdc1 or whatever your new device is)
vgextend VolumeGroupName /dev/newdisk
vgdisplay VolumeGroupName |grep -i free (to get number of free extents)
lvextend /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName -l +numberOfNewExtents

Then resize the filesystem to fill the new volume size (some filesystems
have to be unmounted to do that, others can be done online).

For ext2 or ext3 I tend to do this:
umount /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
fsck -f /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
resize2fs -p /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName
mount /dev/VolumeGroupName/LogicalVolumeName

--
Len Sorensen