xen virtualization and linux distros

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 10 12:56:35 UTC 2007

On Saturday 10 February 2007 03:57, Christopher Friedt wrote:

> I've heard excellent things about Xen. The question is, which 'distro'
> should one use with it.

Depends what you want to run on it (any commercial apps?) and what distros you
are most comfortable with.  Then of course there's the state of Xen support
for that distro.  RHEL5 is scheduled for release very soon and I expect it
will have some of the better Xen support once it's out.  SLES10 (and some of
their free distros have it).

> I've been a gentooer for quite a while now, and believe that it's pretty
> great, even for server administration. The Xen / Gentoo documentation is
> pretty good, and they've apparently even done it somehow so that when
> you make a new image, it doesn't have to be a whole distro - only some
> basic necessities.

Any Xen host can have that.  It's called copy-on-write filesystem, the
underlying technology is just a writeable LVM snapshot - unless something new
has come along.

If you are most comfortable with gentoo and it fits the business purpose then
gentoo would probably be a good choice.