Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 01:14:41 UTC 2007

>  There are more
>     great apps for the Linux desktop than 90% of people need. I've used
>     no other desktop for about 7 years. Many others on this list can
>     say the same (or longer).

I run my engineering business almost entirely on a Linux desktop and have
done so for years. Open office for technical and financial spreadsheets,
word processing and presentations. Xfig for engineering drawings. Octave
for mathematical analysis. Gnuplot for, well, plotting. Latex for
technical documents. Tcl for device interfacing and engineering programs.
Firefox for web surfing. A *raft* of useful small programs (eg, gzip) and
shell scripts for various file format conversions. Suse as the underlying
operating system.

The only thing we cannot do under Linux these days are PCB layout and
routing. As a matter of habit, I use Electronic Workbench under Windows
for circuit simulation, but I believe there is a linux-based alternative
now.

Peter

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto