Whenceforth the Ubuntu fanboyz now?y

Chris F.A. Johnson cfaj-uVmiyxGBW52XDw4h08c5KA at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 9 00:12:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 8 Feb 2007, Stephen Allen wrote:
>>> I've been using Linux for probably a decade or little more (mainly as
>>> server OS). There just isn't the full suite of applications that I need
>>> to use on a daily basis for the Linux desktop to be reality where I work
>>> or at my home.
>>
>> Not yet. Five years ago it was a struggle for me to anything in terms of
>> 'desktop' applications on Linux. Now I plug it in/install it, and it just
>> works. Is that all of a sudden going to stop for some reason that I am unaware
>> of?
>
> You haven't been paying attention. Applications come first and in the
> work world that uses desktops, Linux isn't there for a reason. There
> aren't many great applications that many people use daily that actually
> run on it, or run on it well.

    You've been spending too much time on your server. There are more
    great apps for the Linux desktop than 90% of people need. I've used
    no other desktop for about 7 years. Many others on this list can
    say the same (or longer).

    My daughter and granddaughter, neither of whom is a geek, have been
    using Linux for the last two years with no problems.

> Until the Linux desktop is exposed to people in a work environment,
> there won't be any wide scale adoption of the Linux desktop in the home,
> therefore it won't improve to get to the stage that the others are.

    Getting to the stage the others are is downgrading (or is that
    degrading?).

--
    Chris F.A. Johnson                      <http://cfaj.freeshell.org>