router/printserver/printer recommendations

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 06:28:42 UTC 2007

> I would have thought Xerox liked happy customers with reliable products
> that kept buying supplies from them for years and years.  If your
> products keep dieing, people will go buy something else next time.

Well, in the business market, the printer/photocopier/all-in-one is a
depreciable capital expense, so it's a little different from the
consumer market.  Certainly Xerox does well by selling a long-lived
machine that generates positive buzz and brings income via consumables
but consider that a machine that lasts 4-5 years (instead of 10+) is
still "good" but also brings Xerox the benefit of hardware upgrade
invoices every so often.

Also, a machine that's 10+ years old and still needs consumables might
be a drain on Xerox if the consumables being produced for newer
machines don't fit into the older machines.  I don't know if this is a
real problem or not.

As for the tank-ness of the 6120, it's certainly heavy and seems
solidly built.  The footprint is approximately 18" square, and I'd say
the machine ways more than 40 lbs., but all those numbers are
estimates--they're not off a spec sheet.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com