router/printserver/printer recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 23:02:52 UTC 2007

On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 05:01:34PM -0500, Ian Petersen wrote:
> I bought a Xerox Phaser 6120 from Costco.ca for about $400 (it was
> less than $400, but I can't remember the price).  It's a colour laser
> with built-in networking, and the installation CD includes ppds for
> CUPS.  So far, it's worked like a charm, although _sometimes_ the
> printout includes a couple of blank sheets that were accidentally fed
> through the printer.  This little problem doesn't seem to affect the
> output, though, and I just put the extra pages back in the paper tray.
>
> All in all, I'm very happy with this printer, and I'd definitely buy
> another one if the need ever arose.
>
> Ian
>
> PS By the way, my wife has recently started working as a sales rep for
> Xerox and she tells me the Phaser line is the bane of Xerox' existence
> because they won't die, so Xerox never makes another sale to those who
> buy one.  I'm not 100% certain that my printer is of the same quality,
> though, because it's a "consumer" product, not a "business" product.

Other than the issues with the phaser 8xxx line (not that they break,
just the idiotic head flush requirement), they are amazingly solid.  My
farther very much likes his 6300N, although the 8400N was a very
expensive mistake (which Xerox to their credit did take back at full
original purchase price against the 6300N, although he is still out
close to $1000 in supplies it wasted).

I would have thought Xerox liked happy customers with reliable products
that kept buying supplies from them for years and years.  If your
products keep dieing, people will go buy something else next time.

The 6120 looks decent.  It has a 300MHz cpu for postscript level 3
rendering, and a network link.  It is 4 pass for colour rather than 1
pass on the 6300, but for a casual user that is hardly and issue, and
for users that hardly ever use colour it is really no issue at all.  I
don't know if it is built like a tank the way the 6300 and such are, but
the specs sound nice.  Maybe I should get one of those for home to
replace the @#$#@$ HP inkjet that came free with my wife's laptop.  I
see they have a duplexor option for the 6120 as well, which adds 128MB
ram, and the duplexor, and costs $509.  Doesn't that start to bring the
price up close to the cost of a 6300DN which is 5 times faster at
colour, and costs a bit less per page?  I doubt they will sell many of
those options. :)

--
Len Sorensen