router/printserver/printer recommendations

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 7 14:14:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 08, 2007 at 01:27:42AM +1859, Ian Petersen wrote:
> Well, in the business market, the printer/photocopier/all-in-one is a
> depreciable capital expense, so it's a little different from the
> consumer market.  Certainly Xerox does well by selling a long-lived
> machine that generates positive buzz and brings income via consumables
> but consider that a machine that lasts 4-5 years (instead of 10+) is
> still "good" but also brings Xerox the benefit of hardware upgrade
> invoices every so often.

All they have to do is make one that is sufficiently better (faster,
better print quality, etc), then people will upgrade.  Besides if they
are that good they can just sell to all the people they haven't sold to
yet. :)

> Also, a machine that's 10+ years old and still needs consumables might
> be a drain on Xerox if the consumables being produced for newer
> machines don't fit into the older machines.  I don't know if this is a
> real problem or not.

At the profit margins on consumables, that is hardly an issue.  I think
they will survive.

> As for the tank-ness of the 6120, it's certainly heavy and seems
> solidly built.  The footprint is approximately 18" square, and I'd say
> the machine ways more than 40 lbs., but all those numbers are
> estimates--they're not off a spec sheet.

Well you are right.  The specs say 44 lbs, and 17.4 x 15.6".  The 6300
adds 8" to the depth due to having 4 rollers instead of 1.  Also makes
the weight 77 lbs instead. :)

--
Len Sorensen