router/printserver/printer recommendations

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 22:01:34 UTC 2007

> um, not exactly sure on price. $500 seems like the very high end, I
> suppose, and I'm hoping for somewhat less.  We print all our written
> work on it, as well as a fair number of downloaded scientific articles;
> I don't know what that comes to, a few thousand pages/month I suppose,
> not much more than that I hope.

I bought a Xerox Phaser 6120 from Costco.ca for about $400 (it was
less than $400, but I can't remember the price).  It's a colour laser
with built-in networking, and the installation CD includes ppds for
CUPS.  So far, it's worked like a charm, although _sometimes_ the
printout includes a couple of blank sheets that were accidentally fed
through the printer.  This little problem doesn't seem to affect the
output, though, and I just put the extra pages back in the paper tray.

All in all, I'm very happy with this printer, and I'd definitely buy
another one if the need ever arose.

Ian

PS By the way, my wife has recently started working as a sales rep for
Xerox and she tells me the Phaser line is the bane of Xerox' existence
because they won't die, so Xerox never makes another sale to those who
buy one.  I'm not 100% certain that my printer is of the same quality,
though, because it's a "consumer" product, not a "business" product.

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com