router/printserver/printer recommendations

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 19:54:21 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 14:40 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 06, 2007 at 02:30:19PM -0500, Matt Price wrote:
> > so my crappy wireless router/printserver (smc barricade 2804wbrp-g)
> > seems to have definitively died.  I am therefore looking for a new
> > router and a new printserver.  this time, though, I want something
> > that'll last more than 14 months.  can anyone make a recommendation,
> > especially for a printserver?  That's where I would expect
> > incompatibilities to show up.  I would also consider upgrading to a
> > networkable, duplexing printer that has a decent linux driver -- the
> > brother hl-1440, my current printer, has a bug which wastes a fair
> > amount of paper.
>
> How much are you willing to spend on a printer, and how much do you plan
> on printing on it?

um, not exactly sure on price. $500 seems like the very high end, I
suppose, and I'm hoping for somewhat less.  We print all our written
work on it, as well as a fair number of downloaded scientific articles;
I don't know what that comes to, a few thousand pages/month I suppose,
not much more than that I hope.

matt