First impression of Vista

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 17:40:07 UTC 2007

On Tue, 6 Feb 2007, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:

> Yes, I believe that is it exactly.  I'm perfectly happy to have Vista
> drive people to (drink) Linux, but I think this one is just an example
> of why UI decisions are hard - I see similar wrong-headedness in the
> major desktops for Linux too.

I think you are right but it shows some of the power of the approach of X
really (and also the power of OSS).  X (and as a result Linux) offers a
huge variety of GUIs for users.  Thus if one finds brain-dead behaviour in
KDE or Gnome (or both) there are still plenty of options.  If one finds
brain-dead behaviour in the MS-Vista GUI how many alternatives are
available?  Few or none.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073