First impression of Vista

Thu Feb 15 18:51:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 01:30:20PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 09:06:42PM -0500, Kevin Cozens wrote:
>> Thanks for your impressions on it. Good to hear about things from those who
>> use a product. I don't plan on getting it any time soon even if I had a
>> machine that could run it.
>>
>> BTW, be careful about saying you are running Vista in a virtual machine.
>> From what I have heard, that is a violation of the Vista EULA. :-)
>
>Only for _some_ versions of vista.  They did realize developers need
>virtual machines.
>
>So as far as I understand the EULA, you may not install Vista Home Basic
>and Premium on a machine and use it inside a virtual machine as well.  I
>can't quite make out if they think it is ok to only have it installed
>inside a virtual machine.
>
>Vista Ultimate may be installed on a machine and also inside a virtual
>machine on that same machine, but you can't do anything involving DRM
>inside the virtual machine (I have no idea why).

The reason why is that the DRM code in Vista works at the device driver
level to disable hardware from displaying certain types of media.  The
virtual machine does not work at that level, and so the DRM code simply
does not work in a virtual machine (so it cannot be circumvented).
Freedom is clearly over-rated :-)
--

yours,

William