First impression of Vista

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 6 04:41:02 UTC 2007

ted leslie wrote:
> So the sales man tells me, by the way if your looking at upgrading my
> home pc to Vista, I might want to think twice, he says Vista is
> really bad as it , he claims, takes your initial EULA (Acceptance) and
> will nuke your shit if it doesn't like it (or something to that extent),
> i was thinking, WOW if every future shop salesman was like that, Bill
> isn't going to sell to many copies!

Thanks for the report, Ted. That does sound bad. I've been reading that
they're not going to be selling too many upgrades anytime soon
(especially because of the HW requirements), but it will become the new
pre-install on new PCs.

Hmm. Maybe the Linux crowd just needs to keep on its path, produce
top-notch stuff, and eventually MS will just bully people towards us.

I've mentioned that so far I don't see non-IT folks seeing a compelling
reason to install Linux. Maybe in Vista MS will provide Linux with the
compelling reason (DRM nastiness), without the needing to do anything
different.

BTW, what _is_ a "good beryl/compiz xgl set up"? I know the thing is now
relatively easy to install, are there any good default configurations?

- Evan