playing with ubuntu first time

Zbigniew Koziol softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 23:07:26 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 17:50, Tim Writer wrote:
> Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > When I do:
> >
> > 	apt-get install texinfo
> >
> > I see that it attempts to do something with postfix (restart it and other
> > things). That fails.
> >
> > Why postfix? What it has to do with postfix? Why restarting? Isn't that
> > crazy?
>
> Is it possible that you have a version of postfix partially installed? When
> installation of a package failed to complete properly (for whatever
> reason), apt-get will try to remedy it whenever it's run. What does:
>
>     % dpkg -l postfix

uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                   Version                Description
+++-======================-======================-============================================================
iF  postfix                2.2.10-1ubuntu0.1      A high-performance mail
transport agent

> say? How about this?
>
>     % sudo apt-get -s -f install

I do not want to ;)

> > The fact is that I have postfix installed (and running) but from source.
>
> Why from source? Except for "leaf" packages (on which nothing depends),
> installing packages from source is often a source of trouble on any package
> based Linux distro.

Installing from source gives me more freedom. Isn't Linux about freedom?
That's why I use it. I want to have a possibility to test various extra
optional packages/configurations and installing by apt-get or any other
similar toy does not give me that.

> If you insist on running postfix from source, you should probably "apt-get
> install postfix", disable it, and install postfix into a completely
> separate tree, such as /usr/local or /opt. This ensures that all postfix
> dependencies are satisfied and that Ubuntu is aware that you have an mta
> installed.

Thank you. Your comments were helpfull.

When it comes to texinfo, I installed it already.. from source :)

Thanks,
zb.