playing with ubuntu first time

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 23:28:12 UTC 2007

On Friday 02 February 2007 18:07, Zbigniew Koziol wrote:
> On Friday 02 February 2007 17:50, Tim Writer wrote:
> > Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
[snip]
> > > The fact is that I have postfix installed (and running) but
> > > from source.
> >
> > Why from source? Except for "leaf" packages (on which nothing
> > depends), installing packages from source is often a source of
> > trouble on any package based Linux distro.
>
> Installing from source gives me more freedom. Isn't Linux about
> freedom? That's why I use it. I want to have a possibility to test
> various extra optional packages/configurations and installing by
> apt-get or any other similar toy does not give me that.

Yes, Linux is about freedom but it seems pointless to run a distro
that has a package manager and then not use it. You can have the
freedom to experiment and still not break your system if you rebuild
the source packages and install the binary packages that you create.
If you really want to build stuff from source most of the time and
see a package manager as a toy, why not use a source based distro
like Slackware or Gentoo in the first place?
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation