playing with ubuntu first time

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 2 22:50:49 UTC 2007

Zbigniew Koziol <softquake-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> When I do:
>
> 	apt-get install texinfo
>
> I see that it attempts to do something with postfix (restart it and other
> things). That fails.
>
> Why postfix? What it has to do with postfix? Why restarting? Isn't that crazy?

Is it possible that you have a version of postfix partially installed? When
installation of a package failed to complete properly (for whatever
reason), apt-get will try to remedy it whenever it's run. What does:

    % dpkg -l postfix

say? How about this?

    % sudo apt-get -s -f install

> The fact is that I have postfix installed (and running) but from source.

Why from source? Except for "leaf" packages (on which nothing depends),
installing packages from source is often a source of trouble on any package
based Linux distro.

If you insist on running postfix from source, you should probably "apt-get
install postfix", disable it, and install postfix into a completely
separate tree, such as /usr/local or /opt. This ensures that all postfix
dependencies are satisfied and that Ubuntu is aware that you have an mta
installed.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada