Recommendations for AGP video card

Meng Cheah meng-D1t3LT1mScs at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 30 20:32:03 UTC 2007

John McGregor wrote:
> Currently my desktop has a GeForce FX 5500 (analog and DVI output) which
> is proving to be a bit flaky when connected to my new (for Xmas) LG
> L196WTQ 19" LCD monitor. The vid card's flakiness is apparent in both
> Win XP and Mepis 6.5 & 7. As a precaution, I checked the monitor against
> another system and it's fine. In Windows the screen blacks out randomly
> for a second or two and in Mepis there are many inoperative pixels at
> the edges of the screen The monitor's resolution is 1440 x 900 and I
> made the necessary edits to xorg.conf. I want to replace this card and
> what I need are recommendations for a card to replace this one (no more
> than $100.00).

This morning, I connected an Acer X193W (19" LCD) to my old Asus V9520
Magic (AGP GeForce FX 5200) card.
The resolution is 1440 x 900 in Windows XP and Debian Etch (nv driver).
I updated the Windows XP driver. No complaints so far.

Unless you have some special requirements, most cards should do.
There are a couple of Asus AGP cards at the Filtech website,
http://www.filtechcomputer.com/#AGP%20Cards at about $40/$50.

Regards

Meng