gtkpod on ubuntu

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 07:55:16 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

> JoeHill wrote:

whack

> >>Yeah, I installed that before I got the error. apt-get install
> >>vorbis-tools. Funny you should mention that. I actually installed it to
> >>support an application called audio-convert.That app is working for me. I
> >>noticed that gtkpod does not have the iPod that is mine - it was called
> >>iPod nano 4 GB video (or close to that) when we did the svn installs (et
> >>al) on the fedora 7 machine (before the hard drive died). I probably have
> >>to do all that svn stuff again - no?
> >>

> >No, if you installed the gtkpod and libgpod from the ppa repo, that should do
> >it. The only thing missing from the libgpod you installed is the ability to
> >get the firewire ID of the Nano. You will need to do it manually, but it's
> >not that difficult. From the libgpod README.sysinfo:
> >
> >"The 2nd method requires more manual intervention. First, you need to get
> >your firewire id manually. To do that, run "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i
> >Serial" (without the "") with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16
> >character long string like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod Touch, this number
> >will be much longer than 16 characters, the firewire ID is constituted by
> >the first 16 characters. Once you have that number,
> >create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo (if your iPod is mounted
> >at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below: FirewireGuid:
> >0xffffffffffffffff (replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at
> >the previous step and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)
> >Save that file, and you should be all set. Be careful when using apps which
> >lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
> >file when you do that. So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
> >invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file to
> >make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn't gone. If that happens, readd
> >it to the end of the file, and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod content."
> >

> Okay, so I skip (below) most of what I did on the fedora 7 box and skip
> to the last line? IO just don't want to put you guys through
> what's-my-next-step hell again.
>
> Chris
>
> a. remove the RPM's for gtkpod and libgpod.

Wait, now I'm confused. I thought the Nano was going to be used on the Ubuntu
machine...?

If not, then yes, follow the instructions for building svn. Only the 'make
install' step needs to be run as root, and that's the last step. All else as
user.

From what you wrote it looks like you've got everything you need in terms of
dependencies...except that gtk error. If you're still getting that, you need
the gtk2 devel package, who the heck knows what it's called on Fedora but you
can do a search for it using yum or the graphical package manager I would
presume. Someone posted a pretty detailed yum howto in regards to this IIRC.

--
JoeHill