gtkpod on ubuntu

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 12 13:47:08 UTC 2007

JoeHill wrote:

>Chris Aitken wrote:
>

>>JoeHill wrote:
>>

>whack

>>>No, if you installed the gtkpod and libgpod from the ppa repo, that should do
>>>it. The only thing missing from the libgpod you installed is the ability to
>>>get the firewire ID of the Nano. You will need to do it manually, but it's
>>>not that difficult. From the libgpod README.sysinfo:
>>>
>>>"The 2nd method requires more manual intervention. First, you need to get
>>>your firewire id manually. To do that, run "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i
>>>Serial" (without the "") with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16
>>>character long string like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod Touch, this number
>>>will be much longer than 16 characters, the firewire ID is constituted by
>>>the first 16 characters. Once you have that number,
>>>create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo (if your iPod is mounted
>>>at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below: FirewireGuid:
>>>0xffffffffffffffff (replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained at
>>>the previous step and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)
>>>Save that file, and you should be all set. Be careful when using apps which
>>>lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
>>>file when you do that. So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
>>>invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file to
>>>make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn't gone. If that happens, readd
>>>it to the end of the file, and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod content."
>>>

>>Okay, so I skip (below) most of what I did on the fedora 7 box and skip
>>to the last line? IO just don't want to put you guys through
>>what's-my-next-step hell again.
>>
>>Chris
>>
>>a. remove the RPM's for gtkpod and libgpod.
>>

>Wait, now I'm confused. I thought the Nano was going to be used on the Ubuntu
>machine...?

Yes, it is. Sorry, I just cut & pasted the stuff I did on the fedora
machine. I know I won't be using rpm on  ubuntu. I would just see that
step as remove gtkpod and libgpod, if necessary (apt-get remove or
whatever).

>If not, then yes, follow the instructions for building svn. Only the 'make
>install' step needs to be run as root, and that's the last step. All else as
>user.

So, so the steps (with a little modification) look okay for ubuntu. If
so, I'll get started on that today.

>From what you wrote it looks like you've got everything you need in terms of
>dependencies...except that gtk error. If you're still getting that, you need
>the gtk2 devel package, who the heck knows what it's called on Fedora but you
>can do a search for it using yum or the graphical package manager I would
>presume. Someone posted a pretty detailed yum howto in regards to this IIRC.

I'm installing on ubuntu this time.

Chris