D'oh!

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 19:33:46 UTC 2007

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org wrote:
> James Knott writes:
> <snip>
>> I assume you're using DHCP.  Is there any reason you can't assign a
>> dedicated IP address to that computer's MAC address?
>
> Wouldn't that mean I can't have a LAN address as well? We have on
> eprinter attached to one computer and the other three computers need to
> print to it.

Judging from the other messages, it's hard to see what it is you want.
I assume you want both a local lan address as well as one assigned by an
ISP.  Is that correct?  If so, you need 2 addresses, the 2nd being an
"alias".  IIRC, if you want both a static and DHCP address on a NIC,
only the alias can have a DHCP address.  As someone else mentioned, you
cannot have two addresses on the same subnet assigned to the NIC.  A
little more detail about what precisely you're trying to do would help,
instead of trying to guess what you're doing.