D'oh!

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 15:34:06 UTC 2007

Here's a variation of what I used on my Deb box that should work fine
for Ubuntu, since I believe they have the same configuration format:
Edit this into /etc/network/interfaces..

#-----------

auto eth0
auto eth0:0

iface eth0 inet dhcp
iface eth0:0 inet static
       address 192.168.0.225
       netmask 255.255.255.0
       network 192.168.0.0
       broadcast 192.168.0.255

#--------

On Dec 11, 2007 10:11 AM, Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> This is getting worse. I found a site that advises how to set a static
> ip. Unfortunately I couldn't find instructions how to set up static (for
> local network) AND dhcp-assigned (for Internet). I should have printed
> out my /etc/network/interfaces file but didn't - so now I don't have the
> default to reset it to to at least get my Internet back. So, here's the
> butchered /etc/network/interfaces file (maybe you can see what I am
> trying to do):
>
> #primary network interface
> auto eth0:1
> iface eth0:1 inet static
> address 192.168.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.0.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> address 192.168.0.225
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> I guess my next step will be to look at the /etc/network/interfaces file
> on the computer I'm on right now. It's a fedora 7 box so I nope that
> nothing will be different.
>
> Chris
>
> <snip>

Tyler Aviss