D'oh!

Chris Aitken chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 15:11:24 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:

<snip>

This is getting worse. I found a site that advises how to set a static
ip. Unfortunately I couldn't find instructions how to set up static (for
local network) AND dhcp-assigned (for Internet). I should have printed
out my /etc/network/interfaces file but didn't - so now I don't have the
default to reset it to to at least get my Internet back. So, here's the
butchered /etc/network/interfaces file (maybe you can see what I am
trying to do):

#primary network interface
auto eth0:1
iface eth0:1 inet static
address 192.168.0.2
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 192.168.0.0
broadcast 192.168.0.255
gateway 192.168.0.1

#iface eth0 inet dhcp
address 192.168.0.225
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.1

I guess my next step will be to look at the /etc/network/interfaces file
on the computer I'm on right now. It's a fedora 7 box so I nope that
nothing will be different.

Chris

<snip>