D'oh!

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 11 16:03:01 UTC 2007

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 10:11:24AM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> This is getting worse. I found a site that advises how to set a static
> ip. Unfortunately I couldn't find instructions how to set up static (for
> local network) AND dhcp-assigned (for Internet). I should have printed
> out my /etc/network/interfaces file but didn't - so now I don't have the
> default to reset it to to at least get my Internet back. So, here's the
> butchered /etc/network/interfaces file (maybe you can see what I am
> trying to do):
>
> #primary network interface
> auto eth0:1
> iface eth0:1 inet static
> address 192.168.0.2
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 192.168.0.0
> broadcast 192.168.0.255
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> #iface eth0 inet dhcp
> address 192.168.0.225
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> gateway 192.168.0.1
>
> I guess my next step will be to look at the /etc/network/interfaces file
> on the computer I'm on right now. It's a fedora 7 box so I nope that
> nothing will be different.

That setup looks wrong.  You have essentially set it to have dhcp on
eth0 and also have an alias that is a static IP.  That doesn't work
well.  You /etc/network/interfaces should be:

#primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.0.2
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	gateway 192.168.0.1

And hopefully you also have something like:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

That should do it all.

--